Technical Information & Logistics
We are committed to making sure that all students can successfully connect to online learning during their at-home learning days.
- If your student needs a laptop or tablet, contact your child's teacher using their email located in the Staff Directory. Borrowing a device is free!
- Borrowed devices should be used for school purposes only and kept in a secure location.
- If your child is having trouble with their iPad, visit Getting Started with Your iPad.
- If you have ongoing issues with technology, please visit Technical Support for Families (weblink).
- If your child forgot their DOE issued email or needs a password reset, contact your child's teacher using their email located in the Staff Directory.
Signing In to Apps
- For all Microsoft apps, you should sign in with your DOE student account (weblink).
- For all Google or G Suite apps, sign in with your DOE student account or the Google address your school may have given you already.
- You cannot use your personal Apple ID. Your iPad is for educational--not personal--use only.
Enable Your iPad as a Hotspot
All centrally DOE-loaned iPads are now hotspots. This means other devices can connect to your iPad’s internet connection, for remote learning. To enable your hotspot:
- Go to Settings.
- Find Personal Hotspot and click to take you to the login screen
- Select Allow Others to Join.
- Devices other students in your house are using for remote learning can be added to that connection.
- As a reminder, the hotspot connection is to be used only for remote learning activities. Any unauthorized use is strictly prohibited.
Help with a Broken iPad
The iPad or Apps Fixes page has how-to guides and guidance for fixing some of the most common iPad issues.
- If you need help wit the iPad, please fill out the Technical Support for Families form or call the DOE Service Desk at 718-935-5100.
- If the iPad is broken or not functioning, bring the iPad to your school and the school will help you get a replacement, and fix the iPad to give to another student.
Learn how to return your DOE-loaned iPad (weblink) if you are leaving a DOE school or program, or if you have graduated high school.
How to Access Google Classroom
Please follow the instructions below to access Google Classroom using your nycstudents.net login.
Where to start
- Go to TeachHub (weblink)
- Enter your DOE student account email (it ends in @nycstudents.net)
- If you don't know your DOE student account email, visit DOE Student Accounts (weblink)
- Enter your password.
- Click Sign In.
- If the username and password entered are correct, you will be signed into the remote learning portal successfully.
- Click on the Google Classroom icon.
- Now you are in Google Classroom!
Here is guidance for using Google Classroom:
- G Suite Learning Center (weblink)
- Use the search bar or explore by product
- Classroom Help (weblink)
- Get a summary of your student’s activity in Google Classroom (weblink)
- Watch the Google Classroom Student video tutorials (weblink), available in multiple language.
Get More Help
- Get translated step by step instructions on Translated Support for Remote Learning (weblink)
- If you are using a school based G Suite, please reach out to your schools G Suite super administrator if you have issues with access.
- If you need technical support for Google Classroom, call the DOE Service Desk at 718-935-5100.